Nichols, IA Facts, Population, Income, Demographics, Economy

Population (total): Population in 2017: 361 (0% urban, 100% rural). >Population change since 2000: -3.5%

Population (female): 172

Cost of Living: March 2019 cost of living index in Nichols: 82.7 (low, U.S. average is 100)

Poverty (breakdown): (6.1% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 18.2% for Hispanic or Latino residents)

Ancestries: Ancestries: German (37.2%), American (9.3%), Irish (9.3%), English (7.0%), Polish (4.7%), Scotch-Irish (3.3%).

Elevation: 637 feet

Land Area: 0.23 square miles.

Population Density:

Nichols was established in the early 1870s in an area of Section 15 of Pike Township known locally as Elephant Swamp. The community was intended as a rail town for the shipment of agriculture products and furs to distant markets, and had been constructed on land donated to the rail company by Samuel and Benjamin Nichols with the intention of establishing a rail depot. The lots for the future community were surveyed by county surveyor George Bumgardner in June, 1871. Two rail lines would eventually run through the town the Muscatine & Western Railroad and the Burlington, Cedar Rapids and Northern Railroad which were both branches of the Rock Island system. The first rail line and rail depot was constructed in the early 1870s. Dr. S. H. Smith constructed the first building on the future site of Nichols in 1871, which Mr Smith used as both a drug store and as a home. Construction on the Muscatine & Western Railroad reached the site in 1873, and the rail company laid out an addition to the town, calling it Railroad Addition. At first many of the buildings and homes in the community were log cabins, which were then replaced by more permanent brick buildings. Benjamin Nichols established the first post office in 1870 and served as the first postmaster. The first school was built in 1872. In the winter of 1873-1874 a Christian church was organized with services being held in schoolhouses until the construction of the church in 1874, with services being conducted by Rev. John Powell. The German Evangelical Protestant Church was organized in 1874 by Rev. K. F. Obermann. The Catholic church Church of St. Mary - was built in 1874 with Father Nicholas Dugan serving as its first pastor. A Methodist church was organized in 1875 by J. A. Bolton. The town soon grew with the addition of several banks, an opera house, and a town hall that had been constructed in 1897. The early economy of the community centered on the two rail lines that ran through the community as well as the buying and shipping of furs as well as agriculture. The Foley and Brugman Brothers operated two large grain elevators which held 15,000 bushels each. Cattle and hogs were also shipped out to markets through the rail lines.

Recognitions and Certifications

Accredited Drug Testing has been recognized as one of the "Top 10 drug testing companies" for excellent customer service and we have received TPA Accreditation from the National Drug and Alcohol Screening Association. We are active in all drug testing industry associations and our staff are trained and certified as drug and alcohol testing specialists.

Important Links

National Drug and Alcohol Screening Association (https://ndasa.com/)

National Drug Free Workplace Alliance (https://www.ndwa.org/)

Substance Abuse Program Administrators Association (https://www.sapaa.com/)

Substance Abuse Mental Health Safety Administration (https://www.samhsa.gov/)

US Drug Enforcement Administration (https://www.dea.gov/)

Office of Drug alcohol Policy Control (https://www.transportation.gov/odapc)

On-Site Drug Testing Nichols, IA

Time is money, we can come to you. Accredited Drug Testing provides on-site drug testing services in Nichols, IA and throughout the local area for employers who need drug or alcohol testing at their place of business or other location. On-site drug testing methods include urine drug testing, hair drug testing, oral saliva drug testing and breath alcohol testing. Both instant drug test results and laboratory analyzed testing is available. Testing purposes can include pre-employment, random, reasonable suspicion and post-accident.

(800) 221-4291

Drug Test Screening Panels Available In Nichols, IA

We offer a 5-panel drug test, which screens for the following:

  • Amphetamines
  • Cocaine
  • Marijuana
  • Opiates
  • PCP

We offer a 10-panel drug test which screens for the following:

  • Amphetamines
  • Barbituates
  • Benzodiazepines
  • cocaine
  • Marijuana
  • MDA
  • Methadone
  • Methaqualone
  • Opiates
  • PCP
  • Propoxyphene

We offer a 12-panel drug test which screens for the following:

  • Amphetamines
  • Barbiturates
  • Benzodiazepines
  • cocaine
  • Marijuana
  • MDA
  • Methadone
  • Methaqualone
  • Opiates
  • PCP
  • Propoxyphene
  • Meperidine
  • Tramadol

** Customized drug testing panels such as bath salts, synthetic marijuana, steroids and other drugs are also available.

Urine or Hair On-site Drug Testing In Nichols, IA – You Choose!

Our on-site drug testing services in Nichols, IA include urine drug testing, which has a detection period of 1-5 days and hair drug testing which has a detection period of up to 90 days. Negative test results are generally available in 24-48 hours, when analyzed by our SAMHSA Certified Laboratories. Negative instant test results are available immediately, non-negative test results require laboratory confirmation.

Why Use On-Site Drug Testing in Nichols, IA?

Time is money and when sending an employee to one of our many drug testing centers in Nichols, IA would cause disruption to your business operations or affect your employees work productivity, conducting on-site drug testing will eliminate these issues.

Who Uses On-Site Drug Testing?

  • Construction Sites
  • Manufacturing Plants
  • Power Plants
  • Motor Pool Facilities
  • Car Dealerships
  • Trucking/Transportation Companies
  • Schools
  • Sports Venues
  • Hospitals
  • Oil & Gas Drillings Sites

Are you a DOT Regulated Company?

Accredited Drug Testing has trained and qualified collectors who also specialize in providing on-site drug testing services for all DOT modes to include:

Additional DOT Services:

  • DOT Consortium Enrollment
  • DOT Physicals
  • Supervisor Training
  • DOT Drug Policy Development
  • MVR Reports
  • Employee Training
  • Background Checks
  • FMCSA Clearinghouse Verification/Search

How To Schedule On-Site Drug Testing In Nichols, IA?

Step 1 - Call our on-site coordinator at (800)221-4291

Step 2 - Have at least 10 employees needing to be tested (recommended)

Step 3 - Provide the date, location and time of the requested on-site drug testing services

In addition to on-site drug testing in Nichols, IA, we also have drug testing centers available at the following locations.

2104 CEDARWOOD DR STE 202 12.5 miles

2104 CEDARWOOD DR STE 202
MUSCATINE, IA 52761
Categories: MUSCATINE IA

2104 CEDARWOOD DR STE 102 12.5 miles

2104 CEDARWOOD DR STE 102
MUSCATINE, IA 52761
Categories: MUSCATINE IA

2109 CEDARWOOD DR STE 100 12.6 miles

2109 CEDARWOOD DR STE 100
MUSCATINE, IA 52761
Categories: MUSCATINE IA

1616 CEDAR ST LOWR LEVEL 12.9 miles

1616 CEDAR ST LOWR LEVEL
MUSCATINE, IA 52761
Categories: MUSCATINE IA

1518 MULBERRY AVE 13.6 miles

1518 MULBERRY AVE
MUSCATINE, IA 52761
Categories: MUSCATINE IA

104 Cleveland Street 14.3 miles

104 Cleveland Street
Muscatine, IA 52761
Categories: Muscatine IA

1505 PLAZA PL 14.7 miles

1505 PLAZA PL
MUSCATINE, IA 52761
Categories: MUSCATINE IA

811 S 1ST AVE 15.5 miles

811 S 1ST AVE
IOWA CITY, IA 52245
Categories: IOWA CITY IA

540 E JEFFERSON ST STE 205 16.9 miles

540 E JEFFERSON ST STE 205
IOWA CITY, IA 52245
Categories: IOWA CITY IA

626 E BLOOMINGTON ST 17.0 miles

626 E BLOOMINGTON ST
IOWA CITY, IA 52245
Categories: IOWA CITY IA

500 E MARKET ST 17.0 miles

500 E MARKET ST
IOWA CITY, IA 52245
Categories: IOWA CITY IA

2615 NORTHGATE DR STE B 17.4 miles

2615 NORTHGATE DR STE B
IOWA CITY, IA 52245
Categories: IOWA CITY IA

2461 HIGHWAY 22 18.4 miles

2461 HIGHWAY 22
KALONA, IA 52247
Categories: KALONA IA

2411 2ND ST STE 1 20.8 miles

2411 2ND ST STE 1
CORALVILLE, IA 52241
Categories: CORALVILLE IA

503 3RD ST PO BOX 460 21.7 miles

503 3RD ST PO BOX 460
KALONA, IA 52247
Categories: KALONA IA

214 N PRAIRIE ST 21.7 miles

214 N PRAIRIE ST
WAPELLO, IA 52653
Categories: WAPELLO IA

2769 HEARTLAND DR STE 205 21.8 miles

2769 HEARTLAND DR STE 205
CORALVILLE, IA 52241
Categories: CORALVILLE IA

2769 Heartland Dr Suite 205 21.8 miles

2769 Heartland Dr Suite 205
Coralville, IA 52241
Categories: Coralville IA

200 E 5TH ST 22.0 miles

200 E 5TH ST
TIPTON, IA 52772
Categories: TIPTON IA

1412 CEDAR ST 22.7 miles

1412 CEDAR ST
TIPTON, IA 52772
Categories: TIPTON IA

3 LIONS DR 23.2 miles

3 LIONS DR
NORTH LIBERTY, IA 52317
Categories: NORTH LIBERTY IA

444 E POLK ST 23.8 miles

444 E POLK ST
WASHINGTON, IA 52353
Categories: WASHINGTON IA

420 E POLK ST 23.8 miles

420 E POLK ST
WASHINGTON, IA 52353
Categories: WASHINGTON IA

400 E POLK ST 23.8 miles

400 E POLK ST
WASHINGTON, IA 52353
Categories: WASHINGTON IA

1010 W 5TH ST 24.0 miles

1010 W 5TH ST
WASHINGTON, IA 52353
Categories: WASHINGTON IA

2176 LEXINGTONBLVD. 2 24.4 miles

2176 LEXINGTONBLVD. 2
WASHINGTON, IA 52353
Categories: WASHINGTON IA

(800) 221-4291

Schedule Your Test

Local Area Info: Nichols, Iowa

The original name of the site of the current town was Railroad Addition. The town was later referred to as Nichols Station in reference to the previous holder of the town's site. Nichols was named by the early settler Benjamin F. Nichols in honor of his father, Samuel Nichols, who was instrumental in bringing the railroad to the area. Samuel Nichols was a heavy investor in the Burlington, Cedar Rapids and Northern Railroad Company as well as owner of large landholdings. Samuel Nichols had given the rail company the right of way to construct the rail line across his land, as well as to establish a depot at the current site of Nichols.

Nichols was established in the early 1870s in an area of Section 15 of Pike Township known locally as Elephant Swamp. The community was intended as a rail town for the shipment of agriculture products and furs to distant markets, and had been constructed on land donated to the rail company by Samuel and Benjamin Nichols with the intention of establishing a rail depot. The lots for the future community were surveyed by county surveyor George Bumgardner in June, 1871. Two rail lines would eventually run through the town the Muscatine & Western Railroad and the Burlington, Cedar Rapids and Northern Railroad which were both branches of the Rock Island system. The first rail line and rail depot was constructed in the early 1870s. Dr. S. H. Smith constructed the first building on the future site of Nichols in 1871, which Mr Smith used as both a drug store and as a home. Construction on the Muscatine & Western Railroad reached the site in 1873, and the rail company laid out an addition to the town, calling it Railroad Addition. At first many of the buildings and homes in the community were log cabins, which were then replaced by more permanent brick buildings. Benjamin Nichols established the first post office in 1870 and served as the first postmaster. The first school was built in 1872. In the winter of 1873-1874 a Christian church was organized with services being held in schoolhouses until the construction of the church in 1874, with services being conducted by Rev. John Powell. The German Evangelical Protestant Church was organized in 1874 by Rev. K. F. Obermann. The Catholic church Church of St. Mary - was built in 1874 with Father Nicholas Dugan serving as its first pastor. A Methodist church was organized in 1875 by J. A. Bolton. The town soon grew with the addition of several banks, an opera house, and a town hall that had been constructed in 1897. The early economy of the community centered on the two rail lines that ran through the community as well as the buying and shipping of furs as well as agriculture. The Foley and Brugman Brothers operated two large grain elevators which held 15,000 bushels each. Cattle and hogs were also shipped out to markets through the rail lines.

Nichols is located at 4128?45?N 9118?30?W? / ?41.47917N 91.30833W? / 41.47917; -91.30833 (41.479113, -91.308291) in section 15 of Pike Township, situated in the western edge of Iowas Muscatine County. The area is a mix of prairie and rich bottom land. Jordan Creek flows just southeast of the community and flows into Wapsinonoc Creek, a tributary of the Cedar River.

Show Regional Data

Population (total): Population in 2017: 361 (0% urban, 100% rural). >Population change since 2000: -3.5%

Population (female): 172

Cost of Living: March 2019 cost of living index in Nichols: 82.7 (low, U.S. average is 100)

Poverty (breakdown): (6.1% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 18.2% for Hispanic or Latino residents)

Ancestries: Ancestries: German (37.2%), American (9.3%), Irish (9.3%), English (7.0%), Polish (4.7%), Scotch-Irish (3.3%).

Elevation: 637 feet

Land Area: 0.23 square miles.

Population Density:

Nichols was established in the early 1870s in an area of Section 15 of Pike Township known locally as Elephant Swamp. The community was intended as a rail town for the shipment of agriculture products and furs to distant markets, and had been constructed on land donated to the rail company by Samuel and Benjamin Nichols with the intention of establishing a rail depot. The lots for the future community were surveyed by county surveyor George Bumgardner in June, 1871. Two rail lines would eventually run through the town the Muscatine & Western Railroad and the Burlington, Cedar Rapids and Northern Railroad which were both branches of the Rock Island system. The first rail line and rail depot was constructed in the early 1870s. Dr. S. H. Smith constructed the first building on the future site of Nichols in 1871, which Mr Smith used as both a drug store and as a home. Construction on the Muscatine & Western Railroad reached the site in 1873, and the rail company laid out an addition to the town, calling it Railroad Addition. At first many of the buildings and homes in the community were log cabins, which were then replaced by more permanent brick buildings. Benjamin Nichols established the first post office in 1870 and served as the first postmaster. The first school was built in 1872. In the winter of 1873-1874 a Christian church was organized with services being held in schoolhouses until the construction of the church in 1874, with services being conducted by Rev. John Powell. The German Evangelical Protestant Church was organized in 1874 by Rev. K. F. Obermann. The Catholic church Church of St. Mary - was built in 1874 with Father Nicholas Dugan serving as its first pastor. A Methodist church was organized in 1875 by J. A. Bolton. The town soon grew with the addition of several banks, an opera house, and a town hall that had been constructed in 1897. The early economy of the community centered on the two rail lines that ran through the community as well as the buying and shipping of furs as well as agriculture. The Foley and Brugman Brothers operated two large grain elevators which held 15,000 bushels each. Cattle and hogs were also shipped out to markets through the rail lines.